The medieval town of Vidoški was named after the river Vidoštica, now called Bregava. Vidoški is first mentioned as a town in the lands of the duke Stjepan Kosača in the year of 1444. Vidoški was located on the routes traversed by traders from Dubrovnik. In the Middle Ages, it was part of the region of Dubrava, taking up a prominent place among the towns of duke Kosača. The water supply in the town was regulated by cisterns. Within the town walls there was a variety of residential, military, religious, commerical and other objects required for the functioning of a medieval town. Up to the year 1465, it was governed by duke Kosača, after which it fell under Ottoman rule. Until the first decades of the 19th century, the town was officially called Vidoški, and it was the largest fortified town in Herzegovina.
Vidoški had 13 towers that served as defences against possible attacks. Archaeological research has shown that the largest part of the town was built in the Ottoman period, in several construction phases. Following the arrival of the Ottomans, the lower town was constructed, while the middle and upper fortifications were repaired. In the Austro-Hungarian period, the fort in the highest part of the town was built. The town looks upon the Vidovo (Vitus) plain and the river Bregava, surrounded by the hills Hrgud, Komanje, Ošanići and Bašnik.